MPLEMENTATION OF SECTION 51A OF UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES PREVENTION ACT (UAPA), 1967 – UPDATES TO AL-QAIDA SANCTIONS LIST
CIRCULAR DBR.AML.NO.7376/14.06.001/2015-16, DATED 2-12-2015
Please refer to our circular DBR. AML. No. 6854/14.06.001/2015-16 dated November 18, 2015 on the captioned subject releasing the update issued vide press releases No. SC/12082 dated October 14, 2015, No. SC/12097 dated October 26, 2015 and No. SC/12118 dated November 12, 2015 regarding UNSCR 1267(1999)/ 1989(2011) Committee’s Al Qaida Sanctions List.
2. Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), UNP Division has now forwarded press release No.12139 dated November 25, 2015 and No.12144 dated November 30, 2015 relating to deletion/addition pertaining to Al Qaida sanction list
Press releases pertaining to the update are available at:
3. A link to updated list of individuals and entities linked to Al Qaida is available at: https://www.un.org/sc/suborg/sites/www.un.org.sc.suborg/files/1267.pdf
4. Regulated Entities (REs) are required to update the list of individuals/entities as circulated by Reserve Bank and before opening any new account, it should be ensured that the name/s of the proposed customer does not appear in the list. Further, REs should scan all existing accounts to ensure that no account is held by or linked to any of the entities or individuals included in the list.
5. REs are advised to strictly follow the procedure laid down in the UAPA Order dated August 27, 2009 enclosed to our circular DBOD.AML.BC. No. 44/14.01.001/2009-10 dated September 17, 2009 and ensure meticulous compliance to the Order issued by the Government.
6. As far as freezing of funds, financial assets or economic resources or related services held in the form of bank accounts of the designated individuals/entities are concerned, action should be taken as detailed in paragraph 6 of the circular dated September 17, 2009, mentioned above.
7. A link of press releases in which the relevant changes to the list are announced are posted on the UNSC Sanction Committee’s website at the following URL: https://www.un.org/sc/suborg/en/sanctions/1267/press-releases