IMPLEMENTATION OF SECTION 51A OF UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES PREVENTION ACT (UAPA), 1967 – UPDATE DATED 30-9-2015 AND 2-10-2015 OF AL-QAIDA SANCTIONS LIST
CIRCULAR DBR.AML.NO.4897/14.06.001/2015-16, DATED 7-10-2015
Please refer to our circular DBR.AML.No.3906/14.06.001/2015-16 dated September 18, 2015 on the captioned subject releasing the update issued vide press release No. 12037 dated September 9, 2015 regarding UNSCR 1267(1999)/ 1989(2011) Committee’s Al Qaida Sanctions List.
2. Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), UNP Division has forwarded press release No. 12066 dated September 30, 2015 regarding addition of one entry to Al Qaida Sanction List and another press release No. 12067 dated October 2, 2015 regarding addition of six entries, issued by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) Committee established pursuant to Resolutions 1267 (1999) and 1989 (2011) (copies enclosed). Press release pertaining to the update is available at: http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sc12066.doc.htm and http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sc12067.doc.htm.
A link to updated list of individuals and entities linked to Al Qaida is available at: http://www.un.org/sc/committees/1267/1267.pdf
3. Regulated Entities (REs) are required to update the list of individuals/entities as circulated by Reserve Bank and before opening any new account, it should be ensured that the name/s of the proposed customer does not appear in the list. Further, banks should scan all existing accounts to ensure that no account is held by or linked to any of the entities or individuals included in the list.
4. REs are advised to strictly follow the procedure laid down in the UAPA Order dated August 27, 2009 enclosed to our circular DBOD.AML.BC.No. 44/14.01.001/2009-10 dated September 17, 2009 and ensure meticulous compliance to the Order issued by the Government.
5. As far as freezing of funds, financial assets or economic resources or related services held in the form of bank accounts of the designated individuals/entities are concerned, action should be taken as detailed in paragraph 6 of the circular dated September 17, 2009, mentioned above.
6. A link of press releases in which the relevant changes to the list are announced are posted on the Committee’s website at the following URL: http://www.un.org/sc/committees/1267/pressreleases.shtml