IMPLEMENTATION OF SECTION 51A OF UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES PREVENTION ACT (UAPA), 1967 – 19TH AND 20TH UPDATE DATED 17-8-2015 AND 18-8-2015 OF AL QAIDA SANCTIONS LIST
CIRCULAR DBR.AML.NO.2723/14.06.001/2015-16, DATED 24-8-2015
Please refer to our circular DBR. AML. No. 1223/14.06.001/ 2015-16 dated July 22, 2015 on the captioned subject releasing the 17th and 18th update dated July 20, 2015 regarding UNSCR 1267(1999)/ 1989(2011) Committee’s Al Qaida Sanctions List, and another circular DBR. AML. No. 2409/ 14.06.001/ 2015-16 dated August 14, 2015.
2. Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), UNP Division has forwarded two press releases one dated August 17, 2015 regarding 19th update relating to amendment of two entries and another press release dated August 18, 2015 regarding 20th update relating to deletion of one entry of Al Qaida Sanction List issued by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) Committee established pursuant to Resolutions 1267 (1999) and 1989 (2011). Press release pertaining to the updates are available at: http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sc12009.doc.htm -19th update and http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/sc12013.doc.htm – 20th update.
A link to updated list of individuals and entities linked to Al Qaida is available at: http://www.un.org/sc/committees/1267/1267.pdf
3. Regulated Entities (REs) are required to update the list of individuals/entities as circulated by Reserve Bank and before opening any new account, it should be ensured that the name/s of the proposed customer does not appear in the list.
Further, banks should scan all existing accounts to ensure that no account is held by or linked to any of the entities or individuals included in the list.
4. REs are advised to strictly follow the procedure laid down in the UAPA Order dated August 27, 2009 enclosed to our circular DBOD.AML.BC. No. 44/14.01.001/2009-10 dated September 17, 2009 and ensure meticulous compliance to the Order issued by the Government.
5. As far as freezing of funds, financial assets or economic resources or related services held in the form of bank accounts of the designated individuals/entities are concerned, action should be taken as detailed in paragraph 6 of the circular dated September 17, 2009, mentioned above.
6. A link of press releases in which the relevant changes to the list are announced are posted on the Committee’s website at the following URL: